In this episode, Akira Nakano takes us through his journeys in piano performance, music composition, video editing, and starting a non-profit. These led to the launch of the LA Inception Orchestra, which works with youth and composers to launch Composers of Tomorrow. He shares his experience in piloting a learning non-profit organization and how his diverse skills and relationships combined into its launch and now growth in this Learn-From-Home era.
Guest: Akira Nakano, President, CEO, and Artistic Director, Los Angeles Inception Orchestra
Akira Nakano studied at the Colburn School of Performing Arts in both piano and percussion, soloing with numerous orchestras throughout Southern California as a young performer. He studied with Dr. Heewon Kwon with masterclasses from Jeffrey Kahane, Leon Fleischer, Ilana Vered, John Perry, and Daniel Pollack. He was the winner of the 1st Annual Herbert Zipper Award in Music Composition amongst other piano competitions. Entering UCLA on a full-ride piano performance scholarship, he won the UCLA Concerto Competition and graduated with a B.A. in Film & Television production.
Mr. Nakano spent over twelve years working as a video editor, writer, producer, and live event director at TRW Space & Electronics and went on to have 20+ years of video marketing/communications and film producing experience which will dovetail into the LA Inception Orchestra’s Virtual Reality/360 music education program.
Akira returned to the Zipper Hall stage in March 2012 with a solo recital accompanied by Michael Sushel. In September 2013, he paired with the Dream Orchestra in a concert of Liszt, Rachmaninov, and several original works. Since then, Akira has appeared as a performer/lecturer as part of the Great Speaker Series at the Beach Club in Santa Monica benefiting the California State Parks Foundation; soloed with the Southeast Symphony; and has played multiple engagements at the Huntington Library President’s house for their donor dinners.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/AkiraNakano
- IG: https://www.instagram.com/inceptionorchestra
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/akira-nakano-ab91025/
- Eventbrite link for Nov 7th Event – https://www.eventbrite.com/e/inception-orchestra-for-the-love-of-composing-an-on-line-event-tickets-123638288449
- Inception Orchestra – www.inceptionorchestra.org
- American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers (ASMAC) – asmac.org
Inception Leadership Team:
- Karen Elaine, Senior Vice President – https://yogamusic.me
- Amy (Aizhou) Liu, Vice President – https://www.aizhoumusic.com/
- Blythe Schulte, Vice President, Strategic Innovation – https://www.blytheschulte.com/
- Jack Aron, Vice President, Music Education & Technology – https://sites.google.com/view/jackgreenaron
- Kate Bacich, Vice President, Music Education & College Prep – http://katebacich.com/
- Classical Saxophone Project – https://classicalsaxproject.org/
- Fox Family Foundation – foxgiving.org
- Center for Asian Americans United for Self Empowerment – causeusa.org
- Asia American Symphony Association – aasymphony.org
- Colburn School – https://www.colburnschool.edu
- UCLA Extension Film Composition Program – https://www.uclaextension.edu/entertainment/music/c ertificate/film-scoring
- TRW – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRW_Inc.
- LEAP – Leadership Education for Asian Pacifics – https://www.leap.org
- Ramon C. Cortinez School of Visual and Performing Arts – https://central-lausd-ca.schoolloop.com/
- Virtuo Studios, Boston – https://virtuostudios.com